Dr. Martin, principal of Martin Thermal Engineering Inc., has served as consulting and/or testifying expert on approximately 350 cases. Below are several examples of projects and issues he has addressed involving Failure Analysis of Thermal Equipment or Consumer Products.
- Boiler Failures. Boiler tube ruptures, furnace overheating due to level control failures, inadequate maintenance, sludge accumulation. • Industrial Freezer Failures. Defrost failures, ice accumulation, moisture intrusion, piping defects, alarm failures.
- Industrial Freezer Failures. Defrost failures, ice accumulation, moisture intrusion, piping defects, alarm failures.
- Baghouse Failure Assessment. An analytical method was developed to compute release rates of particulate matter from metallurgical baghouses with one or more failed bags, and the published method was used to compare the fractions of nearby soil contamination due to routine versus accidental particle releases.
- Compressed Natural Gas Tank Ruptures. CNG vehicle fueling station pressure explosions leading to property damage and injury.
- Consumer Product Recall Analysis. Evaluation of causation, risk and mitigation solutions for consumer products having reported field failures that involved burn injuries and risk of fire.
- Water Damage Causation. Improperly repaired air conditioning system led to freezing and rupture of a hot-water coil and the subsequent release of water into a residence. Improperly installed toilet and floor drain led to flooding of a hospital.